Re: Patch for collation using ICU - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Palle Girgensohn
Subject Re: Patch for collation using ICU
Date
List pgsql-hackers
--On fredag, mars 25, 2005 09.53.38 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:

> Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net> writes:
>> hmm... I think I might have made a false assumption that
>> the locale string would contain the character encoding.
>
> You certainly cannot assume that.  Would that it were so easy to find
> out the character set for a locale :-(.
>
> There's some code in initdb that you might emulate, though I can't say
> that I trust it a whole lot.

Best thing would of course be to check the encoding of the database. I
realized I've made a bad assumption that the initdb locale has anything to
do with the character encoding of the database - it doesn't. There must be
some already existsing trusted way to get the character encoding of a
database?

/Palle