Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Christensen
Subject Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date
Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql  (Florian Weimer <fweimer@bfk.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 19, 2010, at 3:39 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> David Christensen <david@endpoint.com> writes:
>> On Jan 19, 2010, at 2:58 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>>> well those are the most common ones I guess for the current version
>>> of the mysql commandline client - but what about future versions or
>>> the fact that we only have partial replacements for some of those
>>> that people are really asking for?
>
>> I think it captures the intent of the people using the tool, and that
>> it adds a small net benefit in usability for those people.  Deciding
>> to support this small subset does not obligate you to expand the
>> scope
>> in the future.  (Hey ma, this slope ain't slippery!)
>
> I thought Magnus had a really good point: covering these four cases
> will
> probably be enough to teach newbies to look at psql's backslash
> commands.  And once they absorb that, we're over a big hump.

Okay, so I can revise the code to cover those four cases specifically
(or three, depending); is there any specific feedback as to the output/
formatting of the messages themselves?

Currently, a session will look like the following:
  machack:machack:5485=# show tables;  See:         \d         or \? for general help with psql commands
machack:machack:5485=#

Said formatting looks like it could use some improvement, open to
suggestions, but something on a single line seems more useful.

> Also, TTBOMK these commands have been in mysql for many years.  I
> don't
> think that commands that might get introduced in future versions would
> have anywhere near the same degree of wired-into-the-fingertips uptake
> to them.

They were in there since when I last used mysql on a regular basis, so
going on 10 years now.  i.e., pretty safe, and pretty engrained in
muscle-memory.

Regards,

David
--