Re: Frontend/Backend Protocol: SSL / GSS Protocol Negotiation Problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jakob Egger
Subject Re: Frontend/Backend Protocol: SSL / GSS Protocol Negotiation Problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 6. Dec 2019, at 15:08, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 06, 2019 at 02:25:46PM +0100, Jakob Egger wrote:
>> I've received a bug report from a PostgreSQL user that psql 12.1
>> failed to connect to a PostgreSQL 12.1 server, with the following
>> error message:
>>
>> psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL: unsupported
>> frontend protocol 1234.5679: server supports 2.0 to 3.0
>
> Andrew Gierth has reported this issue, and has provided a patch:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/87h82kzwqn.fsf@news-spur.riddles.org.uk
> If you could help with it, that would be great.
> --
> Michael

Thanks for pointing me to the right thread! My server side fix is similar to Andrews, but Andrews is maybe a bit more
elegant.

But this also needs to be fixed on the client side as well, otherwise affected clients can't connect to older servers
anymore.

My second patch attempts to fix the issue on the client side.

I'll respond to the other thread as well.

Jakob