Re: pg_stop_backup fails to complete - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Birchall, Austen
Subject Re: pg_stop_backup fails to complete
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi again

after Simon pointed me in the direction of the logs I found out out that I had made an error in my  archive_command in
postgres.conf- it was trying to write to a directory that doesn't exist.

2 further questions:

1. Is there a naming convention for the directory that holds archived WAL logs?

2. Again by convention Should the directory that holds archived WAL logs be below or above the postgres PGDATA directoy
suchas

/var/lib/pgsql/data/wal_logs

Or

/var/lib/pgsql/wal_logs

Or is this a matter of preference? If they are to be above I presume that archive WAL logs need to be backuped
seperatelyto the database backup so that they could be used in a PITR after a total system loss?

I'm on 8.4.5

Thanks

Austen

Austen Birchall  Senior Database Administrator
Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 884481 Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681