Re: spanish characters in postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joel Rodrigues
Subject Re: spanish characters in postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday, March 12, 2002, at 12:25 , Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Le Mardi 12 Mars 2002 00:28, Manuel Sugawara a écrit :
>> initdb(1) with Latin1 encoding.
>
> Do you need euro support? Latin1 does not suppor the euro symbol (and
> transforms it into 'euro'). It can be a problem, here, in Europe.
>
> Latin9 is recommended for euro support and replaces Latin1  (Latin9 =
> ISO_8859_15 = Latin1 + euro). Therefore, you should always
> create a database
> with encoding= 'Latin9'.
>
> If you really need Latin1 client side for some appplication,
> you can always
> recode characters on the fly using : SET CLIENT_ENCODING = 'Latin1';
>
> Cheers, Jean-Michel POURE

I'm new to databases & PostgreSQL, but wouldn't it be better to
use Unicode ?
And, instead of initdb, cannot one simply override the default
database cluster encoding using :
"CREATE DATABASE mydbname WITH ENCODING = 'unicode'" ?

Also, could anyone tell me why PostgreSQL sometimes echoes it's
own responses, i.e. stating things twice, like so :
postgres=# SHOW CLIENT_ENCODING;
NOTICE:  Current client encoding is 'SQL_ASCII'
NOTICE:  Current client encoding is 'SQL_ASCII'
SHOW VARIABLE
postgres=#

Cheers,
Joel