Re: Battery Backed Cache for RAID - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Welty, Richard
Subject Re: Battery Backed Cache for RAID
Date
List pgsql-performance
John A Meinel wrote:
>The recent *cheap* version of a ramdisk had battery backup for 16 hours.
>(Very expensive ramdisks actually have enough battery power to power a
>small hard-drive to dump the contents into).

>I'm guessing for a RAID controller, the time would be in the max 1 day
>range.

i think some will go a bit longer. i have seen an IBM ServeRaid (rebranded
mylex in this particular case) keep its memory after being pulled for a
remarkably long period of time.

no guarantees, though, so i'm not actually going to say how long so that nobody
gets unreasonable expectations.

richard