Re: PostgreSQL on RAM Disk / tmpfs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas F. O'Connell
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on RAM Disk / tmpfs
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 8, 2006, at 1:10 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> On 8/8/06, Thomas F. O'Connell <tfo@sitening.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 3, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>> > if have super high write volumes, consider writing your insert
>> call in
>> > C. prepare your statement, and use the parameterized
>> > version....ExecPrepared(...).
>>
>> Can you point to a good example of this anywhere in the docs? I don't
>> see ExecPrepared anywhere in the core documentation.
>
> well, it's actually PQexecPrepared()
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/libpq-exec.html
>
> do some tests and you should see a nice improvement over PQexec().

Thanks!

I remain curious, though: in the event that a RAM-disk-based
architecture remains in place, do all traditional disk-based
considerations go out the window? For instance, does trying to
cluster same-table statements together in a transaction in an effort
to reduce disk activity make any difference?

And is the overall strategy of attempting to keep distance between
checkpoints somewhat high (especially since the need for
checkpointing overall is reduced) still a good basis?

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Sitening, LLC

http://www.sitening.com/