Re: Stored procedure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From steve boyle
Subject Re: Stored procedure
Date
List pgsql-general
Erik,

a point that may be important is that AFAIK the postgres implementation does
not allow Recordsets to be returned in the same way that they can in Sybase
/ MS SQL.

As a plus point there is a wide range of languages that can be used via the
cratelang commant incl Tcl, Perl, Python, R, and plpgsql which is probably
closest to the procedural languages that people are used to.

I have seen discussion that the return Recordet functionality was being
looked into but cannot see it on the ToDo list.

(IMO this is a feature that a most Sybase / MS SQL programmers have become
used to as it is a way of implementing a stored procedure data access layer
to the underlying database.  FAIK it is impossible to create parameterised
views to simulate this so I think the only solution is to move the
equivalent code to the client.  Adding this feature would make the migration
from alternative databases easier and more attractive).

If anyone reading this disagrees with the above or knows a way of
implementing the parameterised / result returning stored procedure please
let me know.

HIH

Steve Boyle
boylesa@dial.pipex.com