Re: Starting Postgre - Mailing list pgsql-general

From missive@frontiernet.net (Lee Harr)
Subject Re: Starting Postgre
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:20:34 +0300, Timo Lehtinen <timo@suorakanava.fi> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'am very new to linux and postgresql.  I just intalled Redhat7.1. and
> downloaded rpms and installed rpms. Now I'am stuck with startin the server
> itself. What do I have to do after I have installed rpms?  I found doc that
> said  I need to simply enter ../configure to configure server. What is
> this command 'configure' where do I need to execute it?

./configure
would only be used if you were building the software from source.
You would then follow up with
make  [or gmake...]
make install

With RPM it is a different story...

It is possible the RPM installed a startup script to start the server
automatically when the system boots. On my FreeBSD machine it is in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/
but I am sure that Red Hat stores those sort of things somewhere else.

If you cannot find the script, I suppose you could try rebooting and
see what happens. But I would recommend finding your postgres
executables and starting the server by hand. See if you have a
/usr/local/pgsql/bin
or try finding an executable file called
postgres

whereever you find that file, you should find one called
initdb
but again, not being familiar with RPM, that may have already happened.
you could try
man initdb
man postgres
man postmaster