Re: Better backtrace (wasRe: pqReadData() -- backend closed the ch - Mailing list pgsql-general

From missive@frontiernet.net (Lee Harr)
Subject Re: Better backtrace (wasRe: pqReadData() -- backend closed the ch
Date
List pgsql-general

jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC i386
>> gcc -v
> Using builtin specs.
> gcc version 2.95.3 [FreeBSD] 20010315 (release)

> I speculate that your box is so old that it has no hardware floating
> point at all, and that what we are seeing here is a fault in FreeBSD's
> software emulation of the 'fild' (short-to-double) instruction.  Or
> maybe it's an assembly-time problem.  A google search turned up
>
> http://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/BSD/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/contrib/binutils/include/opcode/ChangeLog
>
> which suggests that older versions of the GNU toolchain may mis-assemble
> 'fild' instructions.
>
> It'd be worth asking around in BSD-specific mailing lists to see if this
> is a known problem; I didn't find anything else in my web search, but I
> wasn't trying very hard.  I think Postgres is off the hook, in any case.
>
>             regards, tom lane

I recompiled the kernel replacing

options MATH_EMULATE
with
options GPL_MATH_EMULATE

and I am now able to access the database normally.

As an experiment, I had another 486SX (no hardware fpu) which showed
the exact same problem when I transplanted the hard drive. So it
looks like this may be a problem which will show up on the older
486 machines, but can be worked around by recompiling the kernel
with the alternate math emulation code.

I sent a report of your findings to one of the freebsd mailing lists.

Thanks again, Tom.