Re: Related to Inserting into the database from XML file - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From soni de
Subject Re: Related to Inserting into the database from XML file
Date
List pgsql-performance

I am little bit confused between whether to insert XML file as it is or insert data from the XML file in to a particular field from the table.

I will decided it depending upon the performance factor

For storing the XML file as it is, will there be any performance cause if compared to storing values in particular fields.

If performance issue is not there for XML formats then we have around 12 to 13 tables,

if we store XML data as it is in all tables then is there any generic format for select query?

Thanks

Soni

On 8/27/06, George Pavlov <gpavlov@mynewplace.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 21:23 +0530, soni de wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to ask, Is there any way to insert records from XML
> > file to the postgres database?
>
> Try the contrib/xml2 module.

Alas, that module will not help you much with the insertion of records.
It is more about querying XML that is stored within the database.

A basic question is whether you want to store XML in the DB or you just
have data that is in XML now and you want it loaded into a table
structure. The xml2 module will only be useful in the first case.

In either case the approach is to transform the data into a form that
PGSQL's COPY understands or into a bunch of INSERT statements (much less
performant). To that end you probably want to become familiar with XSLT
unless the data is so simple that a processing with regular tools (perl,
sed, awk) will suffice.

George