Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks
Date
Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 17.02.22 20:25, samay sharma wrote:
> A use case where this is useful are environments where you want
> authentication to be centrally managed across different services. This
> is a common deployment model for cloud providers where customers like to
> use single sign on and authenticate across different services including
> Postgres. Implementing this now is tricky as it requires syncing that
> authentication method's credentials with Postgres (and that gets
> trickier with TTL/expiry etc.). With these hooks, you can implement an
> extension to check credentials directly using the
> authentication provider's APIs.

We already have a variety of authentication mechanisms that support
central management: LDAP, PAM, Kerberos, Radius.  What other mechanisms
are people thinking about implementing using these hooks?  Maybe there
are a bunch of them, in which case a hook system might be sensible, but
if there are only one or two plausible ones, we could also just make
them built in.