Re: Why can't I do this (setup question) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Roland Lauterbach
Subject Re: Why can't I do this (setup question)
Date
List pgsql-general
Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> Paul Tomblin wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us):
>> >
>> > Odd.  Seems unlikely that that has anything to do with your having
>> > moved
>> > the data directory.  Any interesting messages in the postmaster log?
>> > Can you connect via TCP?
>>
>> Is there a postmaster log other than what's in /var/log/messages?
>> Because there is nothing useful in there other than a message that it
>> started successfully.
>
> As for your original question, which I missed, I assume you set '-i' in
> postmaster.opts.default.
>
> As for the log issue, you can also set log level in
> postmaster.opts.default

What is the version of your Kernel? I'm running PSQL on a 2.2.16-Kernel
without problems. When I updated to 2.4.0 I got problems.

Postgres don't start, though I built it from the source. The error message
is
"IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=1, num=17, 03600) failed: Function not
implemented"

The same message comes when I try to start new compiled Apache.

But if you don't have 2.4-Kernel
try this:

PSQLPREFIX=/usr/local/pgsql
rm -rf $PSQLPREFIX/data
mkdir $PSQLPREFIX/data
chown postgres.daemon $PSQLPREFIX/data
su - postgres -c "$PSQLPREFIX/bin/initdb -D $PSQLPREFIX/data"

Roland