Re: How are ppl monitoring PostgreSQL ... ? What is being monitored ... ? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From hubert depesz lubaczewski
Subject Re: How are ppl monitoring PostgreSQL ... ? What is being monitored ... ?
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 6/10/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:
The subject kinda says it all ... I know there are SNMP patches available
out there now, but without those ... ?

i can tell you what we do monitor:
1. general server things (free disk space, cpu-idle, load, memory used, swap used, context switches, io operations, sockets in state close_wait).
2. db stuff:
  - numer of transactions per second
  - database size
  - size of specific tables/indices that we know have nasty tendency to grow
  - number of objects in database
  - duration of longest query
  - replication lag (in events, and in time)

to make mrtg graphs of db stuff we made some perl scripts, which are bound to snmp using snmp's "exec" feature. then we just grab the values using mrtg and draw. quite simple actually.

depesz

--
http://www.depesz.com/ - nowy, lepszy depesz