Re: Stored Procedure Performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From hubert depesz lubaczewski
Subject Re: Stored Procedure Performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 4/11/06, Simon Dale <sdale@rm.com> wrote:

I'm trying to evaluate PostgreSQL as a database that will have to store a high volume of data and access that data frequently. One of the features on our wish list is to be able to use stored procedures to access the data and I was wondering if it is usual for stored procedures to perform slower on PostgreSQL than raw SQL?

worry but your benchmark is completelly flawed.
1st. the tables are empty. will you ever run the real code on empty tables?
2nd. do you really need a stored procedure for such a simple query?

testing something that's far from real usage will not give you any good.
return next will of course show up as slower than standard select. the thing is - will the relative slowness of return next matter to you when you will put more logic in the procedure?

depesz