Charset Win1250 on Windows and Ubuntu - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Durumdara
Subject Charset Win1250 on Windows and Ubuntu
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

I have a software that uses Postgresql. This program (and website) developed and working on Window (XP/2003), with native charset (win1250).

Prior week we got a special request to install this software to a Linux server.

Yesterday I installed Ubu9.10 on VirtualBox, and tried to moving the database under Linux.

First big problem is that when I tried to create a database with same parameters as in Windows, the PGAdmin show an error.
The errormessage is:
"Error: new encoding (Win1250) is incompatible with the encoding of the template database (UTF8)."

Ok, I changed to "template0".

Then I got error that Win1250 is not good for collation hu_HU.UTF8.

When I tried to insert hungarian chars (to check sort order), the C and POSIX return wrong result - as I thought before.

The Windows version of PG and Admin is not supports collation, so these two options are disable (collation, character type).

But in Linux I have only UTF version that can sort rows in good order.

The problem that the client program is win1250 based, and I must rewrite all things to make same results.

Have anybody some way, some tricky solution for this problem?

Thanks for your help:
    dd