Re: initdb failing (10.4 centos7) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: initdb failing (10.4 centos7)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/19/2018 03:44 PM, Michael Nolan wrote:

> On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 5:23 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/19/2018 03:16 PM, Michael Nolan wrote:
>

>         On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 2:16 PM, Don Seiler <don@seiler.us
>         <mailto:don@seiler.us> <mailto:don@seiler.us
>         <mailto:don@seiler.us>>> wrote:
>
>              On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 2:10 PM, Michael Nolan
>         <htfoot@gmail.com <mailto:htfoot@gmail.com>
>              <mailto:htfoot@gmail.com <mailto:htfoot@gmail.com>>> wrote:
>
>                  initdb is failing on Centos 7 with 10.4 because the install
>                  procedure does not change the ownership of the
>         /usr/local/pgsql
>                  directory to postgres.
>
>                  Changing the ownership fixes the problem, but the install
>                  procedure should do this.
>

>              Are you using the PGDG repo packages, or the default CentOS
>         repo
>              packages? You should use PGDG and those should install under
>              /var/lib/pgsql.
>
>              Don.
>              --     Don Seiler
>         www.seiler.us <http://www.seiler.us> <http://www.seiler.us>
>

>         I was installing from source code, so I did a configure and a
>         build (as postgres) and then an install (as root).
>

>     Then setting up the $DATADIR is on you:
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/install-short.html
>     <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/install-short.html>
>

> Shouldn't this also be mentioned in the INSTALL file in the source
> directory then?

In the INSTALL file that came with the 10.4 version I downloaded it is:

head -n 30 INSTALL

                   PostgreSQL Installation from Source Code

    This document describes the installation of PostgreSQL using the
source

    code distribution. (If you are installing a pre-packaged
distribution,

    such as an RPM or Debian package, ignore this document and read the

    packager's instructions instead.)

                                 Short Version

./configure

make

su

make install

adduser postgres
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

    The long version is the rest of this document.

                                 Requirements

    In general, a modern Unix-compatible platform should be able to run
    PostgreSQL. The platforms that had received specific testing at the

Setting up $DATADIR is left up to the user as it a matter of choice for
where you want to locate it.

> --
> Mike Nolan
>

>         --