Re: SQL/JSON features for v15 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: SQL/JSON features for v15
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-08-26 Fr 16:11, Nikita Glukhov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 26.08.2022 22:25, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> On 2022-08-24 We 20:05, Nikita Glukhov wrote:
>>> v8 - is a highly WIP patch, which I failed to finish today.
>>> Even some test cases fail now, and they simply show unfinished
>>> things like casts to bytea (they can be simply removed) and missing
>>> safe input functions.
>> Thanks for your work, please keep going.
> I have completed in v9 all the things I previously planned:
>
>  - Added missing safe I/O and type conversion functions for
>    datetime, float4, varchar, bpchar.  This introduces a lot
>    of boilerplate code for returning errors and also maybe
>    adds some overhead.
>
>  - Added JSON_QUERY coercion to UTF8 bytea using pg_convert_to().
>
>  - Added immutability checks that were missed with elimination
>    of coercion expressions.
>    Coercions text::datetime, datetime1::datetime2 and even
>    datetime::text for some datetime types are mutable.
>    datetime::text can be made immutable by passing ISO date
>    style into output functions (like in jsonpath).
>
>  - Disabled non-Const expressions in DEFAULT ON EMPTY in non
>    ERROR ON ERROR case.  Non-constant expressions are tried to
>    evaluate into Const directly inside transformExpr().
>    Maybe it would be better to simply remove DEFAULT ON EMPTY.

Yes, I think that's what I suggested upthread. I don't think DEFAULT ON
EMPTY matters that much, and we can revisit it for release 16. If it's
simpler please do it that way.

> It is possible to easily split this patch into several subpatches,
> I will do it if needed.

Thanks, probably a good idea but I will start reviewing what you have
now. Andres and others please chime in if you can.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan