Re: DB2 on Linux beats MS where would postgres end up? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gordon Runkle
Subject Re: DB2 on Linux beats MS where would postgres end up?
Date
List pgsql-general
In article <033f01c0de0d$ce93fcc0$230470d1@INSPIRON>, "Dave Cramer"
<Dave@micro-automation.net> wrote:

> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2760874,00.html?chkpt=zdnn0516
> 01
>
> It would be great if we could see where postgres fits in this benchmark

There are lies, damned lies, and benchmarks.

That said (or shamelessly cribbed from Disraeli),
I have found that for my current application (an
auditing system for the transportation industry),
PostgreSQL is 2-4 times faster than DB2 UDB 7.1
for most of our queries.  To say that I was suprised
is an understatement (no offense to the PostgreSQL
crew).

The database has a couple dozen tables, the
largest is just over 1GB with 3.5 million rows.
The database as a whole is over 6GB.

This is running PostgreSQL 7.1 under RedHat 7.1
(it was true under RH 6.2, also).

Hardware is an IBM Netfinity 7000 (4xPPro200/1M)
with 1.5GB RAM and two RAID-5E arrays.  My customer
is running on a Dell PowerEdge 2400 (2xPIII 866)
with 512MB RAM with a RAID-1 and a RAID-10 array.
This one is amazingly fast!

As always, your mileage may vary, contents may
have settled during shipment, and objects in
mirror are closer than they appear.

Gordon.
--
It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster.
   -- Greg LeMond