Re: Error in PostgreSQL query with psycopg - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Parthan SR
Subject Re: Error in PostgreSQL query with psycopg
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/31/06, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
> Line68:
> query = cursor.execute("""INSERT INTO ConfMain (ConfName, ConfHost,
> ConfStart, ConfEnd, ConfDays, ConfStartTime, ConfEndTime, ConfSize)
> VALUES (\'%s\', \'%s\', \'%%\', \'%%\', %i, \'%%\', \'%%\', %i);""" %
> (conf_name, host_name, start_day, end_day, int(num_days), start_time,
> end_time, aud_size))

Does psycopg not handle quoting for you? Almost all database interfaces
nowadays support something like:
result = myquery.execute('INSERT INTO foo (anInt,aDate,aText) VALUES
(?,?,?)', query_parameters);Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/ConfSachem/page2.py", line 75, in ? main(num_days) File "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/ConfSachem/page2.py", line 68, in main query = cursor.execute('INSERT INTO ConfMain (ConfName, ConfHost, ConfStart, ConfEnd, ConfDays, ConfStartTime, ConfEndTime, ConfSize) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)' % (conf_name, host_name, start_day, end_day, num_days, start_time, end_time, aud_size)) TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting
The interface deals with quoting the "?" based on the type definitions
in the database.

Trying to quote things yourself is tricky. You'll need to handle
single-quotes in a string yourself - easy to get it wrong.

I tried to remove the single quotes and use the way you have told me as above. Still i get an error...

[Code]

    query = cursor.execute('INSERT INTO ConfMain (ConfName, ConfHost, ConfStart, ConfEnd, ConfDays, ConfStartTime, ConfEndTime, ConfSize) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)', (conf_name, host_name, start_day, end_day, num_days, start_time, end_time, aud_size))

[Error]

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/ConfSachem/page2.py", line 75, in ? main(num_days) File "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/ConfSachem/page2.py", line 68, in main query = cursor.execute('INSERT INTO ConfMain (ConfName, ConfHost, ConfStart, ConfEnd, ConfDays, ConfStartTime, ConfEndTime, ConfSize) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)', (conf_name, host_name, start_day, end_day, num_days, start_time, end_time, aud_size)) psycopg.ProgrammingError: ERROR: syntax error at or near "," at character 120 INSERT INTO ConfMain (ConfName, ConfHost, ConfStart, ConfEnd, ConfDays, ConfStartTime, ConfEndTime, ConfSize) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)

Charecter 120 : ConfEndTime in the specified line.

Instead when I use a different way of implementing string formatting, I get a different error,

[Code]

    query = cursor.execute('INSERT INTO ConfMain (ConfName, ConfHost, ConfStart, ConfEnd, ConfDays, ConfStartTime, ConfEndTime, ConfSize) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)' % (conf_name, host_name, start_day, end_day, num_days, start_time, end_time, aud_size))

[Error]

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/ConfSachem/page2.py", line 75, in ? main(num_days) File "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/ConfSachem/page2.py", line 68, in main query = cursor.execute('INSERT INTO ConfMain (ConfName, ConfHost, ConfStart, ConfEnd, ConfDays, ConfStartTime, ConfEndTime, ConfSize) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)' % (conf_name, host_name, start_day, end_day, num_days, start_time, end_time, aud_size)) TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

Now, I want to know how will you present a tuple of variables (of types int, text, date, time) to the query string. I know am making mistakes in passing the variables using the string formatting. :(

--
With Regards

---
Parthan.S.R.
Research Assistant
National Resource Center for Free/Open Source Software
Python Developer n00b