Re: Estimating wal_keep_size - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)
Subject Re: Estimating wal_keep_size
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 2021-06-16 17:36, Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) wrote:
Is this reasonable thinking?

I'd think that one would want a wal_keep_size to cover the pending updates while the standby server might be unavailable, however long one might anticipate that would be.

In my case, I get a complete replacement (in the form of "|"- delimited ASCII files) of one of the SCHEMAs every Sunday.  The size of that ASCII data is about 2GB, so I'm thinking of doubling that to 4GB (256 WAL files) to protect me in the case of the standby being unavailable during the update.  Note that a complete loss of both servers is not catastrophic (I have backups);  it would just be annoying.

In the absence of any clear guidance, I temporarily set wal_keep_size to 16GB & waited for the Sunday update.  That update today created just over 6GB of WAL files during the update, so I've set wal_keep_size to 8GB (512 WAL files).

Oh, and wal_keep_size is NOT an upper limit restricting further WAL files. It's more like a minimum.