Re: Cannot convert partitioned table to a view - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: Cannot convert partitioned table to a view
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/7/22 15:27, Kouber Saparev wrote:
На чт, 6.10.2022 г. в 17:02 ч. Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> написа:
That is an ancient backwards-compatibility hack that you should not
rely on, and most certainly shouldn't try to make use of from user
code.  It exists because very ancient versions of pg_dump didn't
know how to dump views as views.  We're more likely to rip it out
as no-longer-needed than to expand what it does.

Does that mean that the ability to point remote partitions to views (on the remote side) will be forbidden in the future? Currently this feature is saving a lot of work (and disk-space) for us, as it allows us to introduce significant changes to the partitioned tables model without the need to populate these changes on all the hundreds of past partitions that do exist (and that we barely read anyway, that's why they reside on a remote server).

I think maybe you and Tom are talking about different things.

Why do you need rules and views, when a regular old partitioned table can have foreign tables in it?