Timestamp Resolution in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Schroepfer
Subject Timestamp Resolution in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi All,

Apologies if I posted to the wrong groups.

I am trying to use the timestamp column type in postgres.    It appears that
postgres is rounding
the milliseconds to the nearest 10ms.   I'm running on Solaris 8 - and my
app is written in
java which is returning dates with a 1ms accuracy.  Is there a setting
somewhere to adjust
the resolution of the timestamp field?  I haven't seen anything in the
documentation.  Enclosed below
is a simple example which exhibits the behavior.

Thanks for any help!

Mike

Let's say I  have a table called person:

create table person (
    OBJECTID         VARCHAR( 56),
    BIRTHDAY        TIMESTAMP,
   NAME                 VARCHAR(256)
);

If I run the following command in psql:

update table person set birthday = '2001-05-03 11:12:56.343' where objectid
= '34';

followed by

select * from person where objectid = '34';

I get :

2001-05-03 11:12:56.34-07