Re: Thread or not threads? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carl Rosenberger
Subject Re: Thread or not threads?
Date
List pgsql-general
> I have 4 columns in a table, id, sub_id, timestamp and value.
> The primary key is id, sub_id and timestamp combine.
> I need to insert many rows (may be 10 thousands every 4 minutes)
> as fast as I can to the same host, same port, same database, same table.

Hi Raymond,

you might like to consider using our database engine to cache data.

It can handle 10 thousand inserts in less than 10 seconds.
On highend hardware you could even break the 1 second barrier.

The extreme performance is possible because there is no driver overhead at
all. Objects are stored directly as they come. A benchmark to test the
performance comes with the free dowload. You could turn the "runs" Variable
to 10000 in com.db4o.bench.BenchMark.java to get an idea.

After caching the data, possibly to multiple files, you could spread the
effort to build it into your SQL database in any way you wish.

Kind regards,
Carl
---
Carl Rosenberger