Backup and restore from 7.4.1 to latest, crossing platforms... issues? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Mikulec
Subject Backup and restore from 7.4.1 to latest, crossing platforms... issues?
Date
Re: Backup and restore from 7.4.1 to latest, crossing
List pgsql-general
Hi there,

This may be a stupid question but I feel I should ask it anyway just to be sure, since I've had problems in the past.

I currently have a defunct Debian 3.0 system running PostgreSQL 7.4.1, in which I am going to do an entire blob backup dump of all the databases in hopes to restore them on my new, more secure system running the latest OpenBSD, and PgSQL 8.0.

So my question is: Are they any issues that I should be aware up restoring on a more recent version of PgSQL, and/or issues using a completely different operating system altogether? I have some strange pg language mishaps going from 7.2 to 7.4 last backup, although frightening, I overcame them with some fiddling.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

--
Roses are #FF0000