Re: Proposal: CREATE/ALTER DOMAIN ... STORAGE/COMPRESSION = ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Proposal: CREATE/ALTER DOMAIN ... STORAGE/COMPRESSION = ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 17.08.22 11:43, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
> Do you think it will be useful to specify STORAGE and/or COMPRESSION
> for domains?

Domains are supposed to a logical construct that restricts the accepted
values for a data type (it's in the name "domain").  Expanding that into
a general "column definition macro" seems outside its scope.  For
example, what would be the semantics of this when such a domain is a
function argument or return value?

> As an example, this will allow creating an alias for TEXT with
> EXTERNAL storage strategy. In other words, to do the same we do with
> ALTER TABLE, but for types. This feature is arguably not something
> most people are going to use, but it shouldn't be difficult to
> implement and/or maintain either.

Considering how difficult it has been to maintain domains in just their
current form, I don't believe that.