Re: File API cleanup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: File API cleanup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 23.12.22 09:33, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 01.12.22 09:25, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Here are a couple of patches that clean up the internal File API and
>> related things a bit:
>
> Here are two follow-up patches that clean up some stuff related to the
> earlier patch set.  I suspect these are all historically related.

Another patch under this theme.  Here, I'm addressing the smgr API,
which effectively sits one level above the previously-dealt with "File" API.

Specifically, I'm changing the data buffer to void *, from char *, and
adding const where appropriate.  As you can see in the patch, most
callers were unhappy with the previous arrangement and required casts.

(I pondered whether "Page" might be the right data type instead, since
the writers all write values of that type.  But the readers don't read
into pages directly.  So "Block" seemed more appropriate, and Block is
void * (bufmgr.h), so this makes sense.)

Attachment