PHP/Postgres/Solaris problem - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From superedo.geoNOSPAM@yahoo.com
Subject PHP/Postgres/Solaris problem
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hello,

We have a Sparc w/Solaris8 equipped with Apache1.3.14 + PostgreSQL 7.0.3 +
PHP4
We manage a 60 MB database with 30 tables and  70000 records, accessing it
via
php. We have the following problems:

1) Sometimes the connection to the Postgres backend unexpectly fails with the
following message:
Warning: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: Backend startup failed in
/usr/libr/start.inc on line 25
Refreshing the page often solve the problem and the php connects to the db.

2) We note a big(suspect) slowdown in performance (we previously had a Mysql
DB). Often we note a big delay in the loading of the
pages.

3) We note a suspect number of postgres backend processes running in the
background, even if there is no query actually running (and
we don't use pconnect).

Thank you

Mike