Re: Is pg_restore in 10.6 working? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Is pg_restore in 10.6 working?
Date
List pgsql-general

On 11/12/18 12:39 PM, David wrote:
I'm not following your question.  The pre-data and post-data sections each go to an individual file, but the data section goes to a directory.  I can restore the files using psql, but it is the restore of the directory that is hanging.

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 2:28 PM Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:

On 11/12/18 11:44 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> David <dlbarron28@gmail.com> writes:
>> I have some experience with different versions of Postgres, but I'm just
>> getting around to using pg_restore, and it's not working for me at all.
>> But a matching pg_restore command does nothing.
>> pg_restore -U postgres -f predata.sql -v
> This command expects to read from stdin and write to predata.sql, so
> it's not surprising that it's just sitting there.  What you want
> is something along the lines of
>
> pg_restore -U postgres -d dbname -v <predata.sql
>
>                       regards, tom lane

In this case, does the "General options" -f make sense? restoring to a file?

If the top post it to my question about -f making sense, I was responding to Tom's explanation.  He's correct of course. I'm just wondering if pg-restore --help should include -f from the general options.  I probable should have posed this to Joshua's reply.