Re: Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout - Mailing list pgsql-general

From George Weaver
Subject Re: Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout
Date
List pgsql-general

On 11/07/2019 3:04 p.m., Wayne Mell wrote:
P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}
Can someone help me with executing a postgres function from VBA?  No matter what function I call, it always times out after exactly 30 seconds.  I've tried to use the statement_timeout a million different ways and always get an error that states "Cancelling statement due to statement timeout" in Access.

Here is the code I've been using to test:

Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
Dim cnnCmd As ADODB.Command

 Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection
       cnn.ConnectionString = "Driver={PostgreSQL Unicode(x64)};Server=postgres.office.server;Port=5432;Database=DBS;UID=postgresuser;PWD=postgrespwd;"
       cnn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
       cnn.Open

Set cnnCmd = New ADODB.Command
cnnCmd.CommandTimeout = 0

I found that the default of 0 meaning no timeout doesn't seem to work.

What happens if you set cnnCmd.CommandTimeout = 60 for the sleep test of 50?

George

Set cnnCmd = cnn.Execute("select pg_sleep(50);")

There are other functions that I've tried to execute, and they all work as long as they take less than 30 seconds to run.  I just started running pg_sleep to test.

If I log into pgAdmin with the same user name and password, and on the same machine, then the functions will execute no matter how long they take.  It's only through VBA and the psqlODBC driver that I have the 30 second timeout limit.

Has anyone found a way to make this work?  Thanks.

--
Cleartag Software, Inc.
972 McMillan Avenue

Fast. Accurate. Easy.