Re: Is my db dead ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric Renard
Subject Re: Is my db dead ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ok I progressed a bit, now with psql I can see my main db and some tables, but they don't contain many rows.
Noticable messages in the logfile :
2008-02-05 18:01:18 CET LOG:  transaction ID wrap limit is 1073748480, limited by database "wowdbu"
2008-02-05 18:01:18 CET LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "postgres"
2008-02-05 18:01:18 CET LOG:  incomplete startup packet
2008-02-05 18:02:08 CET LOG:  incomplete startup packet

I tried a pg_dumpall and it fails quickly with this error :
pg_dump: SQL command failed
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  could not access status of transaction 3270404
DETAIL:  could not open file "pg_clog/0003": No such file or directory
pg_dump: The command was: SELECT tableoid, oid, proname, prolang, pronargs, proargtypes, prorettype, proacl, pronamespace, (SELECT rolname FROM pg_catalog.pg_roles WHERE oid = proowner) as rolname FROM pg_proc WHERE NOT proisagg AND pronamespace != (select oid from pg_namespace where nspname = 'pg_catalog')
pg_dumpall: pg_dump failed on database "postgres", exiting

I read about things like zeroing missing pg_clog files... Can it work ? I thought clog files were about transactions, but I don't care about last transactions, even data from 1 month ago would be enough for me.
So what can I do from there ?

On Feb 5, 2008 4:19 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
dawmette@gmail.com escribió:
> My server crashed yesterday, the hd was saved though and I was able to
> get a copy of the data directory of my pg cluster. On the server now,
> when I start pg, I can see only like 1% of my data, there are many dbs/
> tables and rows missing. But the data dir seems ok in size though. So
> I copied the whole data dir to a new serv, installed the same pg
> version but now I can't get it started at all. There are some weird
> things in the pg_controldata :
>
> pg_control last modified:             Tue 03 Sep 6869 17:57:36 CET
> Time of latest checkpoint:            Thu 11 Jan 1116953 03:46:31 CET
> LC_COLLATE:
> LC_CTYPE:

What's the full pg_controldata output?  Can you send the pg_control file
as a binary attachment?

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/