Re: Role Inheritance Without Explicit Naming? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From François Beausoleil
Subject Re: Role Inheritance Without Explicit Naming?
Date
List pgsql-general
Le 2014-03-03 à 10:53, Adrian Klaver a écrit :

> On 03/02/2014 08:48 PM, François Beausoleil wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have four roles involved:
>>
>> meetphil - the database owner, should not login
>> mpwebui - the role the web application logs in as, should have very limited privileges, but should be able to SET
ROLEto a user that has the correct privileges, should login
>> mpusers - the main group for regular users, the group on which I'll grant default privileges, should not login
>> francois - one of the roles that has the right to do stuff, should login
>>
>> I've gist'd everything here: https://gist.github.com/francois/9318054 (also appended at the end of this email).
>>
>> In a fresh cluster, I create my users:
>>
>> $ psql -U meetphil -d meetphil
>> psql (9.1.5)
>> Type "help" for help.
>>
>> meetphil=> \du
>>                              List of roles
>>  Role name |                   Attributes                   | Member of
>> -----------+------------------------------------------------+-----------
>>  colette   |                                                | {mpusers}
>>  francois  |                                                | {mpusers}
>>  meetphil  |                                                | {}
>>  mpusers   | Cannot login                                   | {}
>>  mpwebui   | No inheritance                                 | {mpusers}
>>  postgres  | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication | {}
>>  rene      |                                                | {mpusers}
>>

> If I am following correctly what you want is something like this:
>

>           ------   mpusers  < ----
>        francois                 mpwebui
>

> In other words access sibling roles through a parent role. Is this correct?

Yes, when you put it that way, it looks like it. I'm just exploring ideas on how to secure access to the database. I'm
exploringalternatives.

Bye,
François
Attachment