PostgreSQL on Solaris: Changing Compilers During Point Upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas F. O'Connell
Subject PostgreSQL on Solaris: Changing Compilers During Point Upgrade
Date
Re: PostgreSQL on Solaris: Changing Compilers During Point Upgrade  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
I'm working on a system where postgres 8.2.1 was built from source on Solaris 10 using gcc. Based on a number of recommendations, we decided to rebuild postgres Sun Studio cc. Without changing platforms, I wouldn't've expected the compiler to make a difference, but we just built 8.2.2 from source using cc, and now we're seeing this type of error in the logs:

ERROR:  attribute 3 has wrong type
DETAIL:  Table has type character varying, but query expects character varying.

Is changing compilers under postgres on the same platform without a dump/reload a Bad Idea?

More important: Has this risked any catastrophic data corruption? If we just switch to a gcc 8.2.2, will we be fine?

--
Thomas F. O'Connell

optimizing modern web applications
: for search engines, for usability, and for performance :

615-260-0005