Re: Lock pileup causes server to stall

From: Jesper Krogh
Subject: Re: Lock pileup causes server to stall
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Lock pileup causes server to stall  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: Lock pileup causes server to stall  (Alvaro Herrera, )
  Re: Lock pileup causes server to stall  (Jesper Krogh, )
   Re: Lock pileup causes server to stall  (Alvaro Herrera, )
    Re: Lock pileup causes server to stall  (Jesper Krogh, )
 Re: Lock pileup causes server to stall  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: Lock pileup causes server to stall  (Jeff Janes, )
 Re: Lock pileup causes server to stall  (Josh Berkus, )

> On 10/11/2014, at 22.40, Alvaro Herrera <> wrote:
>
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> pg version: 9.3.5
>> RHEL 6.5
>> 128GB/32 cores
>> Configured with shared_buffers=16GB
>> Java/Tomcat/JDBC application
>>
>> Server has an issue that whenever we get lock waits (transaction lock
>> waits, usually on an FK dependancy) lasting over a minute or more than
>> 10 at once, *all* queries on the server slow to a crawl, taking 100X to
>> 400X normal execution times.
>
> Current FK checking makes you wait if the referenced tuple is modified
> on any indexed column, not just those that are actually used in
> foreign keys.  Maybe this case would be sped up if we optimized that.

Even if it is an gin index that is being modified?   seems like a harsh limitation to me.

Jesper