Re: Splitting queries across servers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank D. Engel, Jr.
Subject Re: Splitting queries across servers
Date
List pgsql-general

Wow.  Your needs really *are* demanding.  You might need to look into a
high-end server to meet those kinds of needs - Sun has some *very*
expensive hardware that can handle over 1/2TB of RAM, for example, and
Cray makes supercomputers (even more *very* expensive) which can handle
somewhere around 32 TB of RAM...

You're sure you can't possibly put up with even a small amount of
swapping?

On Jan 26, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Max wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our postgresql database is getting too big to be handled by one
> server. We
> need the database to be in RAM and cannot afford swapping. At the
> moment,
> we're using only 3GB or RAM, however our business growth is going to
> drive
> this number into the double digits zone, maybe triple digits.
>
> What are our options ?
>
> I am a little bit ignorant in this part of RDBM. Can we distribute our
> tables across multiple servers (read server+postgres) and perform
> distributed SQL queries ? If so, how does that work ? I am totally
> resourceless!
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Max.

> your