Re: upgrading and pg_restore versions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas F. O'Connell
Subject Re: upgrading and pg_restore versions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jan 4, 2007, at 2:42 PM, Angva wrote:

> Dear Postgres gurus,
>
> I come seeking advice on upgrading my 8.1.2 databases to 8.2. My
> environment in a nutshell: I have a master database on one server that
> is used to process large amounts of data. This data is replicated
> daily
> to several destination databases, each on a separate server. There are
> so many destinations that I fear I won't be able to upgrade them
> all in
> one evening.
>
> Does anyone know if it would be safe to upgrade a subset of the
> databases per night? I am concerned with version mismatches between
> dmp
> files, pg_restore, and destination database versions. Should the
> pg_restore still work ok? And if that is ok, should the master
> database
> be upgraded in any particular order (before or after the
> destinations)?
>
> I would greatly appreciate any advice that can be offered.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark

A few questions:

1. How is the data being replicated?
2. Is each slave getting all the data?

I would expect it to be easier to upgrade each slave as you have time
to do so, depending on how you're moving your data around. Later
versions of pg_dump usually play nicely with older versions of
postgres, whereas older pg_dump clients don't usually play nicely
with newer versions of postgres.

The nice thing about pg_dump is that you can output in SQL/DDL
format, which should usually be able to be restored into a different
version of postgres (possibly requiring edits to the dump file to
work around any incompatibilities). You don't have to rely on
pg_restore.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell

optimizing modern web applications
: for search engines, for usability, and for performance :

http://o.ptimized.com/
615-260-0005