Re: posix_fadvise v22 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: posix_fadvise v22
Date
List pgsql-hackers
In theory there should be no benefit on a single spindle system. There
could be a slight benefit due to reordering of I/o but only on a raid
array would you see a significant speedup -- which should be about
equal to the number of spindles.

What would be interesting is whether you see a noticable speed
*decrease* from having prefetching enabled when it isn't helping.
Either due to having everything fit in shared buffers or everything
fit in the filesystem cache (the latter should be more of a hit)

Even if there is it doesn't really worry me. By default the feature is
disabled and you should only really turn it on if ulu do have a raid
array and want an individual query to make use if it.

Now that there's an actual run-time sysconf check for the buggy glibc
called by the guc function we arguably don't need the autoconf
check_run check anymore anyways.

--
Greg