Re: Fixing GIN for empty/null/full-scan cases - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: Fixing GIN for empty/null/full-scan cases
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 4, 2011, at 3:18 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Actually, there's been a *lot* of complaining about the GIN issues.
> It's just that most of that complaining doesn't reach -hackers.
>
> The common pattern I've seen in our practice and on IRC is:
>
> 1) user has GiST indexes
> 2) user tries converting them to GIN
> 3) user gets "full index scan" errors
> 4) user switches back and gives up

We (PGX) actually have a client who could use this. Tom, if you have patches as you work on this (or, better, a branch
ina Git repo), I could do some testing on your client's code with it. It would involve converting from a GiST to a GIN
indexand then seeing how well the queries fare. Would that be helpful to you?

Best,

David