Re: Online enabling of checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrey Borodin
Subject Re: Online enabling of checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi, Daniel!

> 19 марта 2018 г., в 4:01, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> написал(а):
>
> Fixed in patch just posted in 84693D0C-772F-45C2-88A1-85B4983A5780@yesql.se
> (version 5). Thanks!

I've been hacking a bit in neighboring thread.
And come across one interesting thing. There was a patch on this CF on enabling checksums for SLRU. The thing is CLOG
isnot protected with checksums right now. But the bad thing about it is that there's no reserved place for checksums in
SLRU.
And this conversion from page without checksum to page with checksum is quite impossible online.

If we commit online checksums before SLRU checksums, we will need very neat hacks if we decide to protect SLRU
eventually.

What do you think about this problem?

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.