Detecting if the DB is in backup mode or not - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Detecting if the DB is in backup mode or not
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello,

I am running pg 8.3, and I’m working on some scripts to take online backups of the database with backup mode and netapp snapshots.  I can successfully run the pg_start_backup/pg_stop_backup functions, but how to I query to see what mode the DB currently is in?  If my script fails to run the stop_backup, I’d like to have some external monitoring that can alert me to the database being stuck in backup mode.

Thanks

-Adam