Re: [bug fix] postgres.exe fails to start on Windows Server 2012 due to ASLR - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From MauMau
Subject Re: [bug fix] postgres.exe fails to start on Windows Server 2012 due to ASLR
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus@hagander.net>
> Does somebody want to look at backpatching this to 9.1 and earlier, or
> should we just say that it's not fully supported on those Windows versions
> unless you apply the registry workaround?

Please use the attached patch.  It applies cleanly to both 9.1 and 9.0.

We don't need to consider 8.4, because ASLR became enabled by default in
Visual Studio 2008 and 8.4 doesn't support building with 2008.

I tested with Visual Studio 2008 Express.  You can check if ASLR is disabled
using dumpbin.  "dumpbin /headers <EXE_or_DLL_file>" outputs the following
lines.  If the "Dynamic base" line is displayed, ASLR is enabled.  If this
line disappears, ASLR is disabled.

            8140 DLL characteristics
                   Dynamic base
                   NX compatible