Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3 VACUUM Timings/Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3 VACUUM Timings/Performance
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 16, 2007, at 2:06 PM, Bruce McAlister wrote:

Hi All,

Okay, I'm getting a little further now. I'm about to create entries in the
pg_autovacuum system tables. However, I'm a little confused as to how I go
about finding out the OID value of the tables. The pg_autovacuum table
requires the OID of the table you want to create settings for (vacrelid).
Can anyone shed some light on how I can extract the OID of the table? Also,
what happens if you create a table without OID's, are you still able to add
it's details in the pg_autovacuum table if there is no OID associated with a
table?

SELECT oid FROM pg_class where relname='table_name';

The WITH/WITHOUT OIDS clause of CREATE TABLE refers to whether or not to create oids for the rows of the table, not the table it itself.  Tables always get an oid.

erik jones <erik@myemma.com>
software developer
615-296-0838
emma(r)