Fwd: Requiring a password - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ralph Smith
Subject Fwd: Requiring a password
Date
List pgsql-general
I guess I'm missing something.

Question part A)

I have smithrn in ident.conf, and he can now connect as user airburst to same-named DB.
I tested and before he couldn't.

But when i:
ALTER ROLE airburst WITH  UNENCRYPTED PASSWORD 'maxwellsmart' ;
ALTER ROLE

Even after reloading and restarting the DB, which shouldn't be necessary, smithrn still gets in w/o any password checks.
How come?

-----

Question part B)

I have SSL on, and all the client boxes also have it.
If I change HBA, how will / would I change my login?
As it is now, a particular user connects to a particular DB w/o any password prompt.
e.g.:  psql -U username dbname

Thank you!
Ralph Smith