MS SQL Server migration - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Roman Fail
Subject MS SQL Server migration
Date
List pgadmin-support
I recently completed a data migration to Postgres 7.3.1 using the pgAdminII Migration Wizard.  It is awesome, and so
mucheasier to use than MS DTS.  Thanks for such a great tool.

However, I was unable to migrate a table with a VARBINARY column using the wizard.  MS DTS was able to migrate the
binarytable to postgres just fine, but had memory problems due to the size of the table (23 million tuples).  So I
endedup using bcp and a writing a hex2octal UDF to get the thing imported.  (And thanks to Ian Harding for a lot of
goodideas in his tech doc).

Is binary migration going to be supported at some point?  Clearly ODBC can do it, I'm guessing it's just a matter of
writingthe routines.

Second, I found that all my indexes migrated flawlessly, except for the unique primary key indexes!  PostgreSQL and
MSSQLhave a major difference when you use CREATE TABLE ... PRIMARY KEY.  Postgres simply creates UNIQUE  and NOT NULL
constraints. MSSQL does all that, plus it creates a unique index for the column.  Perhaps in future versions of the
wizard,these indexes would also be migrated?  I saw a bunch of indexes on all my migrated tables, and foolishly assumed
thePK indexes were there as well.

Roman