Re: Permissions - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andre Labuschagne
Subject Re: Permissions
Date
List pgsql-novice
> On 5 Oct 2016, at 13:09, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
>
> Please don't top-post on PostgreSQL mailing lists.

>> Nothing to do with encryption.  This is what the databases mentioned allow you to do.  Set a user name
>> and password that only the owner of the database knows about.  No super user can gain access to the
>> database no matter where or how it is shipped.  It is that simple - the user name and password must
>> reside with the database and only that users name and password can access that database no matter
>> where or how it is shipped.  Mounting it onto another PG server must not make it accessible to the
>> super user on that server.  That is what I am talking about.  The three databases I mentioned work
>> exactly like that - I am sure there are others that do so as well.  It is security 101.
>
> Well, if somebody who has access to the files cannot get the contents,
> that is by definition encryption, right?  If the data files are not encrypted,
> anybody who can read them can get at the data.
>
>> If you can do that with PG I am all ears.  I am really wanting to use PG but this single apparent
>> deficiency is stopping me in my tracks.
>
> Are you trying to find a working solution or just trying to tell us that
> PostgreSQL stinks because it lacks your favourite feature?
>
> For a seasoned old hand like you it should be a trifle to encrypt a backup
> with GnuPG and send it like that. That way nobody but the intended recipient
> can get at the data.
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

Hi Albe

Apologies for top-posting.  I keep forgetting with these mailing lists.

I am seriously looking for a working solution with PG.  This is not just my favourite feature.  It is the only thing
thatactually provides any form of security.  Anything else leaves a gaping hole at the weakest point - the so-called
superuser.

Just because PG does not have decent security does not mean it stinks for all situations.  There are some where
securityis not required at all.  For this project we are investigating serious security such as I have described is not
negotiable.

Encryption is meaningless if the super user can control the encrypting.  What is required is the following: the super
usergrants a user the rights to create a database and all objects within the database.  The super user simply grants
theuser that right.  The super user has zero access to what that user creates unless that user explicitly grants the
superuser those rights.  That is called security.  That is what I am trying to achieve with PG.  I was hoping that it
ispossible to do such a thing.  That is what Mimer, Sybase and Interbase [and perhaps others I am yet to encounter] do
asa matter of course.  It as necessary for the security of a database as wheels are to a car.

Cheers
Andre