Re: [DESIGN] ParallelAppend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kouhei Kaigai
Subject Re: [DESIGN] ParallelAppend
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2015/11/12 14:09, Kouhei Kaigai wrote:
> > I'm now designing the parallel feature of Append...
> >
> > Here is one challenge. How do we determine whether each sub-plan
> > allows execution in the background worker context?
> >
> > The commit f0661c4e8c44c0ec7acd4ea7c82e85b265447398 added
> > 'parallel_aware' flag on Path and Plan structure.
> > It tells us whether the plan/path-node can perform by multiple
> > background worker processes concurrently, but also tells us
> > nothing whether the plan/path-node are safe to run on background
> > worker process context.
>
> When I was looking at the recent parallelism related commits, I noticed a
> RelOptInfo.consider_parallel flag. That and the function
> set_rel_consider_parallel() may be of interest in this regard.
> set_append_rel_size() passes the parent's state of this flag down to child
> relations but I guess that's not  what you're after.

Thanks for this information. Indeed, it shall inform us which base
relations are valid for parallel execution.
In case of parallel-append, we can give up parallelism if any of
underlying base relation is not parallel aware. We can use same
logic for join relation cases, potentially.

A challenge is how to count up optimal number of background worker
process. I assume the number of workers of parallel-append shall be
sum of required number of workers by the sub-plans unless it does not
exceed max_parallel_degree.
Probably, we need pathnode_tree_walker() to count up number of workers
required by the sub-plans.

BTW, is the idea of consider_parallel flag in RelOptInfo workable for
join relations also? In case when A LEFT JOIN B for example, it can be
parallel aware if join path has A as outer input, but it cannot be if
B would be outer input.
I doubt that this kind of information belong to Path, not RelOptInfo.

Thanks,
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>