Re: Foreign join pushdown vs EvalPlanQual - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kouhei Kaigai
Subject Re: Foreign join pushdown vs EvalPlanQual
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Apart from EPQ issues, it is fundamentally impossible to reflect
the remote join tree on local side, because remote server runs
the partial join in their best or arbitrary way.
If this ForeignJoinState has just a compatible join sub-tree, what
is the difference from the alternative local join sub-plan?

Even if we have another node, the roles of FDW driver is unchanged.
It eventually needs to do them:1. Recheck scan-qualifier of base foreign table2. Recheck join-clause of remote joins3.
Reconstructa joined tuple

I try to estimate your intention...
You say that ForeignScan with scanrelid==0 is not a scan actually,
so it is problematic to call ExecScan on ExecForeignScan always.
Thus, individual ForeignJoin shall be defined.
Right?

In case of scanrelid==0, it performs like a scan on pseudo relation
that has record type defined by fdw_scan_tlist. The rows generated
with this node are consists of rows in underlying base relations.
A significant point is, FDW driver is responsible to generate the
rows according to the fdw_scan_tlist. Once FDW driver generates rows,
ExecScan() runs remaining tasks - execution of host clauses (although
it is not easy to image remote join includes host clause has cheaper
cost than others) and projection.

One thing I can agree is, ForeignScan is enforced to use ExecScan,
thus some FDW driver may concern about this hard-wired logic.
If we try to make ForeignScan unbound from the ExecScan, I like to
suggest to revise ExecForeignScan, just invoke a callback; then
FDW driver can choose whether ExecScan is best or not.

Thanks,
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>