Re: Our trial to TPC-DS but optimizer made unreasonable plan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kouhei Kaigai
Subject Re: Our trial to TPC-DS but optimizer made unreasonable plan
Date
List pgsql-hackers

My measurement is done on v9.5 based system. So, it also seems to me
replacement of CHAR(n) by VARCHAR(n) will make sense.

> I'm not sure if it would help with hash aggregates to use something
> like SortSupport to avoid fmgr overhead. It might make enough of a
> difference to matter, but maybe the easier win would come from
> considering simple binary equality first, and only then using an
> equality operator (think HOT style checks). That would have the
> advantage of requiring no per-type/operator class support at all,
> since it's safe to assume that binary equality is a proxy for
> "equivalence" of sort order (or whatever we call the case where
> 5.00::numeric and 5.000::numeric are considered equal).

My presumption was wrong, at least not major portion, according to
the perf result. So, I don't think elimination of fmgr overhead has
the first priority. However, shortcut pass of equality checks seems
to me a great leap, to avoid strict equality checks implemented per
data type; that often takes complicated logic.
Probably, it is more intelligent to apply this binary equality proxy
on only problematic data types, like bpchar(n). But less effective
on simple data types, like int4.

On the other hands, one other big portion of HashAggregate is
calculation of hash-value by all the grouping key.
It may be beneficial to have an option to reference the result
attribute of underlying plan. It potentially allows co-processor
to compute hash-value instead of CPU.

Thanks,
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>