[SPAM] Re: pgreplay log file replayer released - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben Chobot
Subject [SPAM] Re: pgreplay log file replayer released
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 23, 2010, at 4:08 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

One thing that Tsung, recording
queries as proxy, will never be able to handle are encrypted connections,
but I guess that's a minor problem.

Yes, because you typically run the proxy only to record sessions, in
order to prepare the tsung setup. Another way to go from logs is to use
pgfouine, which knows how to prepare a tsung config from PostgreSQL
logs:

 http://pgfouine.projects.postgresql.org/tsung.html

We've actually found that pgfouine, while a great tool for most things, does not do a terribly good job at recreating production sessions for tsung. This isn't pgfouine's fault (although there is a bug there I still need to file) but rather with the fundamental design of Tsung and its origins as a tool to test stateless servers. If I want to replay a log *exactly* as it happened, tsung cannot help me.

I definitely look forward to using pgreplay the next time we need to compare hardware classes on known production load.