Re: WIP: 2nd-generation buffer ring patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP: 2nd-generation buffer ring patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> The COPY IN part of the patch is not there, pending resolution of
>> whether we think it adds enough value to be worth uglifying
>> heap_insert's API for.

> I ran a series of tests, and it looks like it's not worth it.

Great, I'll pull out the last vestiges of that and apply.

If we did want to pursue this, I was thinking of inventing a
"BulkInsertTarget" object type that could be passed to heap_insert,
in the same spirit as BufferAccessStrategy in my WIP patch.
This would carry a BufferAccessStrategy and also serve to track a
currently-pinned target page as per your thought about avoiding
pin/unpin cycles across multiple inserts.  I think we could fold
use_fsm into it as well (maybe use_wal too), and thereby avoid growing
heap_insert's parameter list still more.

Not something I want to pursue now, but just getting these thoughts
into the archives in case someone picks it up again.

            regards, tom lane